- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 and 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the softened butter and granulated sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the butter mixture, mixing well after each addition. The dough will be crumbly at first but should come together as you continue mixing.
- Once the dough starts to come together, transfer it to a lightly floured surface and knead it gently until it forms a smooth ball.
- Roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1/2 inch (1.3 cm) using a rolling pin. You can dust the surface and rolling pin with flour as needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut the dough into desired shapes using cookie cutters or slice it into rectangles or squares.
- Place the cut-out cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, leaving a small gap between them.
- Optionally, use a fork to press decorative patterns onto the surface of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are lightly golden.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and let the cookies cool on the sheet for a few minutes. They will be delicate when hot, so handle them gently.
- Transfer the cookies to a wire rack to cool completely before serving or storing.
- Once cooled, the classic shortbread cookies are ready to be enjoyed! Store them in an airtight container at room temperature.
These classic shortbread cookies are buttery, tender, and perfect for any occasion. Feel free to add variations such as dipping them in chocolate or sprinkling them with powdered sugar for an extra touch. Enjoy!